עמוד בית Mon, 16.09.19

January 11, 1912 – The Hebrew Medicinal Society for Jaffa and the Jaffa District is established

With only 32 Jewish physicians in the Land of Israel at the time, a decision was reached at a meeting held at the home of Dr. Krinkin (in Tel Aviv) to establish the Hebrew Medicinal Society for Jaffa and the Jaffa District, whose members would be physicians, veterinarians and provisors (certified pharmacists). 

 

The participants at the gathering, considered to be the Society founders, were: Dr. Pohovsky, Dr. Yunis-Gutman, Dr. Krinkin, Dr. Stein and Dr. Sherman. They were joined by Dr. Belkind and Dr. Cohen from Petah Tikva; Dr. Weitzbrad from Rishon LeZion; and Dr. Moskowitz from Rehovot.

The gathering decided on membership fees and conducted secret ballot elections of executive positions. Dr. Pohovsky was elected chairperson, Dr. Krinkin vice chairperson, and Dr. Sherman was elected secretary of the new society.

 

Although the majority of physicians in the land of Israel at the time did not speak Hebrew, it was decided to publish a quarterly in Hebrew titled Minutes of the Hebrew Medicinal Society in the Land of Israel. Dr. Moshe Sherman, the association secretary, was appointed editor, by virtue of his proficiency in Hebrew and the fact that he was the son of a publisher and print shop owner.
 

Legal Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal or medical advice on any matter. The IMA is not responsible for and expressly disclaims liability for damages of any kind arising from the use of or reliance on information contained within the site.

© All rights to information on this site are reserved and are the property of the Israeli Medical Association. Privacy policy